Firehouse Skate ‘N Play wants to encourage children in the Roanoke area to investigate their passions for science and math! Learn more about encouraging kids to value innovation and education with STEM field trips for Roanoke area schools.
Event Coordinator: Sarah McGuire, Sarah@FirehouseSkate.com
STEM disciplines are an integral part of all of kids’ favorite activities. By showing them how things like eating, creating, and roller-skating tie into science, technology, engineering, and math, we can engage their minds and encourage kids’ passion for learning. Firehouse Skate ‘N Play will partner with Roanoke and surrounding area teachers to show kids real world applications of the concepts they learn in the classroom. We have multiple lesson plans to choose from, giving teachers a chance to tie-in daily education with a fun lesson that will make it stick. After all, there’s nothing better than getting kids excited about learning!
STEM Field Trips
Book a STEM field trip for students of any age. Firehouse Skate ‘N Play has a variety of lesson plans tailored to different disciplines and age groups that teach kids about:
- The science of roller skating (friction, geometry, area, and perimeter)
- Motion and rink design (force/friction, diameter/circumference)
- Music, math, and skating (beats per minute, frequency, and speed)
- Acoustics and rink design (sound system design, frequency, path of sound)
- Engineering magic and lighting (types of light, lighting design)
- Physical fitness (1 hour of STEM education and 2 hours of fitness through roller-skating!)
Transform the way your students see STEM. Get kids excited about science, technology, engineering, and math with a STEM field trip at Firehouse Skate ‘N Play.
Watch a Video on the STEM Program
Real Roanoke Teacher Testimonials
- Ms. Nester, Bonsack Elementary 3rd Grade
- Ms. Underwood, Bonsack Elementary 3rd Grade
- Ms. Adams, Bonsack Elementary 3rd Grade
- Ms. Poyner, Herman L Horn Elementary 4th Grade
STEM @ Firehouse in the News!